The Campesinos of the National Peasant Movement – FECAOL, the Cantonal Agricultural Center of Quevedo and Acción Ecológica, managed to win the historical demand imposed against the Ministry of Agriculture and Agrocalidad (in the Judicial House of the Quevedo canton in the province of Los Ríos), after 15 years of struggle against the Ecuadorian Government for its permanent attempt to unconstitutionally enter transgenic seeds into Ecuador,
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019, the Constitutional Judge of the region accepted the Protection Action against crops planted illegally in the province of Los Ríos. This victory came after the monitoring carried out in the region, where the illegal presence of transgenic soybean crops had previously been detected.
Faced with this evidence, the judge said that transgenic crops violate the rights to life, health, work, a healthy environment and the rights of nature, therefore, granted the Protection Action in favour of the peasants and peasants in the province.
In addition, it ordered that the National Government must carry out the following preparatory measures:
– Decommission, eliminate and incinerate all the transgenic crops found in the monitoring.
– Subject to the sowing period, confiscate, eliminate and incinerate all batches of transgenic seed to prevent further sowing.
– Establish a permanent surveillance program to prevent GM crops from being planted in Ecuador.
– Raise awareness and educate on the dangers and the unconstitutionality of the transgenics to the officials of the Ministry of Agriculture and to the farmers of the region.
– That the Ministry of Agriculture include in its website the inscription “Ecuador Free of Transgenics”.
– Send the ruling to the Prosecutor’s Office of all the regions of the province of Los Ríos where transgenic crops were found, so that it identifies those responsible, by action or omission, for the entry of transgenic soy.